Last semester, I was in a small class where one student brought in a snack each week to share with everyone. When it was my turn, I had no idea what to bring! I like experimenting with vegan cooking and baking, and since one girl in the class is vegan, I wanted to make sure she could eat too. After a long time searching, I found a great recipe for vegan pumpkin muffins from The Post Punk Kitchen, but of course I wanted to adapt the recipe to make it a liiitle healthier.. and add a bit of chocolate. (because everyone likes chocolate)
The original recipe lists molasses as an ingredient, but since I was too lazy to go buy some, I omitted this. If you do have blackstrap molasses though, I would suggest trying it in the recipe for a nutritious kick!
Don’t they look delicious?!
My version has less sugar, fat, and lacks molasses, but they will still taste great, I promise!
Makes 12 muffins.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour and ¾ cup whole wheat flour (or use 1 ¾ cups white whole wheat flour if you have that)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 ½ cups pumpkin
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsps maple syrup
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a twelve-muffin tin (*see note below for alternative)
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, almond milk, applesauce, vanilla, maple syrup and vegan chocolate chips.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix.
- Fill the muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
*Note: for this recipe I used large baking cups from the brand, “If You Care,” so greasing wasn’t necessary. I was in need of more baking cups, and when I saw all the benefits of these beauties (environmentally friendly, unbleached, chlorine-free, cute box...) AND they were on sale, I just had to get them. First time I tried these cups, and I highly recommend them! Find more information about them on their website here.