My mom knows this recipe by heart, but she was willing to nicely type it up for me to share.
Pad Thai Sauce Ingredients:
- 11/2 cups tamarind juice (tamarind soaked in hot water for about 20 min)
- Two pieces of palm sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of fish sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of ketchup
- Put all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Pad Thai sauce
- 1/2 pack of rice noodles (preferrably from Chantaburi, Thailand) soaked in luke warm water for an hour or until softened
- 2 cups of bean sprouts
- 2 cups of Chinese chives (chopped to 1/2 inch)
- organic tofu 1/2 piece
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped salted radish
- 2 Tablespoons of finely chopped shallots and garlic
- dried shrimps or fresh prawns (shelled, optional)
- sliced tofu (the other half) or thinly sliced chicken or pork (optional)
- 1 egg (optional)
- Cube the tofu and deep fry in oil. Set aside.
- Brown the mixture of chopped shallots and garlic in oil.
- Add chopped salted radish, dried shrimps, and deep fried tofu (if you use fresh prawns, you must put it at the end of the process so that your prawns won’t be overcooked.
- Add fresh sliced tofu or meat, then and noodles.
- Put sauce in little by little (too much it will be too soggy, too little it will be too stiff)
- Add egg if desired.
- Add chives and keep on stir-frying.
- Add fresh prawns. (if you use dried shrimps, no need for this step)
- Add bean sprouts and stir-fry until the bean sprouts are soft.